Challenging a Child Support Agreement

If you would like to challenge your assessed child support liability and you think there are special circumstances that need to be taken into account, Burbank & Brown can assist you with the following kinds of applications to the Federal Circuit Court of Australia.

  • Applications seeking urgent maintenance while waiting for an administrative assessment of child support
  • Where paternity is in dispute, an Application can be made for a declaration as to parentage for child support purposes and Applications for recovery of child support previously paid as a result of mistaken paternity;
  • Applications for leave to seek a backdated departure for a period over 18 months up to seven years;
  • Departure Applications from an Administrative Assessment where:
    • The Child Support Registrar has refused to determine the departure application because the issues are too complex;
    • There is another Application pending before the court and special circumstances exist to enable the court to determine both Applications;
    • The paying parent seeks to reduce a minimum administrative assessment.
    • Applications to vary or discharge a Child Support Agreement;
    • Applications in respect to lump sum and non-periodic child support;
    • Applications for an order suspending the operation of the Child Support Assessment Act (Cth) 1989 until finalisation of objections, reviews or court findings.

Need advice?

For more information regarding child support agreements, get in touch with Burbank & Brown.